FIGJAM ANNOUNCES OPEN PRACTICES FOR MASTERS ULTIMATE PLAYERS
When: Saturday May 9, 2015
Where: Shouldice Athletic Park
Time: 12:00 to 3:00pm
What: Open practice for all men’s masters’ age ultimate players.
Who: If you’re turning 33 or older this year we want you there!
FIGJAM, Calgary’s men’s masters’ team, will be holding open practices this season and encourages you to join us. After May 9th practices will shift to Monday evenings at Calgary Rugby Union (first Monday date to be confirmed). If you want to join us here’s what you need to do:
- Read all the information below. You need to understand FJ’s culture, why we do this and our goals for the year.
- Send an email to email@example.com and confirm your attendance for May 9th. Cost is likely $20 pp.
- If you can’t make May 9th, email anyways and indicate your interest in coming out on Monday evenings.
We’re a group of mature guys with a lot of commitments to our families, our work, and our daily lives. Life happens and often takes priority but we love our sport, love the competition, need and want the level of fitness that ultimate demands, and enjoy an environment where the beer we drink after practice is just an important as the practice itself.
Established in 2007, the FIGJAM Ultimate program is currently one of the longest running in Canada. As the years have passed, we’re proud that this program has morphed into a genuine brotherhood of players, families, and friends. Built on a philosophy that demands team cohesion, respect and support for one another, FIGJAM has also become one of the most decorated teams in Canada.
Fresh off of a silver medal at the World Club Championships in Italy in 2014, 2015 will see a transition in team leadership and a year off for some. But FIGJAM returns this year with a strong core of experienced players, proven systems and a winning culture that will be used to advance the men’s masters scene in Calgary and continue to build for the future.
With about a dozen players returning from silver and gold medal FIGJAM teams of the last two years, we have a strong core that know our systems and culture really well. With a goal of competing again at nationals in August in Winnipeg, we need to add more bodies to our roster. Healthy weekly scrimmages are important so if Nationals isn’t for you, come join us on Monday nights anyway. Here’s what we’re looking to do for the 2015 season:
- Bring out some newer masters’ age players who are ready to make the transition and join a competitive master’s environment.
- Get some other masters players back out on the field that haven’t been able to participate with FJ in the last couple of years.
- Assemble the right pieces to put the best possible team on the field at every tournament in which we compete.
- Play in 1 or 2 tournaments leading up to Nationals in Winnipeg in August. Options are being evaluated but currently include:
- A new ‘open’ tournament in Victoria June 6-7 that is replacing Flowerbowl, and
- An option to join with an Edmonton master’s team that is competing at USA Ultimate’s NW masters’ regionals in Seattle, which is a qualifying tournament for US Nationals. June 20-21.
- Compete at Regionals and win the spot to qualify for Nationals.
- Compete at Nationals. The winner this year qualifies to be Team Canada at next year’s world championships in London, England. The ultimate will be great and the competition will be strong.
- Continue to build for the future.
What We Expect
- Respect for one another.
- A fun environment.
- A commitment to fitness.
- Effort, focus and intensity.
- A willingness to give and receive feedback.
If you have any questions you can email the FIGJAM email address provided, or get in touch with any of Bryan Slauko, Andrew Pickup, Rolie Ryan or any other FJ guys that you know.
Hope to see you on the field!